This position is responsible for the daily maintenance and care of laboratory animals; this includes cage changing, providing food and water, performing health checks, administering medications as per written instructions and reporting any signs of ill-health. The cleaning of dirty caging and the preparation of sterile caging is required. This position also includes the general cleaning and maintenance of the facility, record keeping and inventory.
- Responsible for providing basic animal husbandry, handling, restraint, health, behavior and welfare surveillance of laboratory animals, along with continuous awareness of current species-specific welfare issues.
- Performing health checks on various laboratory animals and recording observations.
- Recording and maintaining animal data.
- Providing a food, water, clean housing, and enrichment to animals, including changing animal cages and water bottles, operating a cage dumping station, a cage washer, a bottle filler, and a pass-through sterilizer.
- Maintenance of the facility's cleanliness and organization, including routine sweeping and mopping of floors, as well as scheduled cleaning of rooms, vents, and cage racks.
- Maintenance of facility equipment as required on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis.
Providing medications to animals as per written instruction (such as eye drops, topical antibiotics, oral medications in food or water).
- Assisting with the collection of biological samples.
- Assisting with anesthesia, surgical and other procedures, under direct supervision.
- Assisting in the presentation of training courses for laboratory students and personnel.
- Assisting in receiving, collecting and recording inventory of animals, food, bedding, and other supplies, repeatedly lifting up to 20kg.
- Performing other related tasks as required.
Completion of Secondary School (Grade 12) or equivalent; Registered Lab Animal Technician (CALAS/AALAS) certification; over one (1) year related experience working with laboratory animals; or the equivalent combination of education and experience. An Animal Health Technology degree is an asset.
for full job description and details, please see job posting on the UBC Career site at:
All applications MUST be submitted through the UBC Career site
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $39,672.00 /year
Company Name: The University of British Columbia
Active from 9/10/2018
CALAS/ACSAL National Office: PO Box 20507 - 2901 Sheppard Avenue East Toronto, ON M1T 3V5Tel.:416-593-0268 | Fax: 416-979-1819 | Email: email@example.com