Animal Research TechnicianPosition Summary:
Turnstone Biologics is a leading next-generation immuno-oncology company driven by science with experienced leadership and world-renowned scientific founders focused on bringing novel oncolytic viral immunotherapies to patients. The Animal Research Technician is an integral part of a team of immunologists working with a robust pipeline of early-stage investigational therapies, based on its MG1 oncolytic virus platform, in development for multiple solid tumors as monotherapies and in combination with other cancer therapies, including checkpoint inhibitors.
The Animal Research Technician will bring hands-on experience with mouse husbandry and procedures such as syngenic murine tumour models, intravenous and intramuscular injections, blood collection and necropsy, including experience with processing blood and tissues for ex vivo analysis. The incumbent will conduct laboratory activities including performing experiments, analyzing data, and will work closely with other lab members.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Application of preclinical models to enable the translation of cancer therapies
- Characterizing in vivo models, ex vivo assays, syngeneic tumour models, mouse models to optimize their application in preclinical and translational studies for targeted therapies, cancer immunotherapies and combination therapies
- Be highly involved in mouse animal handling requiring subcutaneous, intraperitoneal and intravenous injections, frequent tumor measurements, and regular health monitoring of animals
- Preforms blood collection through multiple routes, gaseous anaesthesia, tissue harvesting, and animal necropsies
- Be involved in work with culture and/or cell separation methods; virus preparation; drug preparation
- Provide technical support for assays: viral titration, flow cytometry, and fluorescence microscopy
- Operate lab equipment such as centrifuges, pH meters, analytical balances, spectrophotometers, light microscopes and other equipment as instructed
- Performs simple or moderately complex technical procedures
- Participates in data entry and data analysis, including application of statistical analysis techniques using standard software
- May perform study-related administrative tasks. Compiles data from related and/or unrelated sources
- Communicates findings to other lab members and maintains records of experimental data
Other duties as required
- Must have strong interpersonal skills
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Respond to and complete tasks as instructed by the P.I. and staff associated with designated research projects by carrying out the requested activities
- Must have a willingness to perform repetitive tasks
- Action oriented and eager to take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- Ability to work and contribute in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
Typical research laboratory, animal care facility or vivarium. Must follow required guidelines to maintain compliance for a clean environment such as wearing personal protection equipment; shower in & out if necessary; following standard SOPs.
- BSc. in related science; or Medical Laboratory Technology certification; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-5 years’ experience working in research in either an academic or biotech/pharma setting with strong mouse-handling skills
- Working knowledge of CCAC guidelines, OMAFRA regulations and animal use protocols (AUPs)
- Knowledge and familiarity with regulations, standards, and guidelines for care and use of vertebrate animals in teaching, research, and service
- All work must be performed at the highest quality and with the highest regard for animal welfare.
- Must have attention to detail and excellent record keeping skills
- Must possess an excellent work ethic, maintain a professional attitude and maintain high standards to detail, being able to work independently and in a team environment with the ability to interact positively with other team members
- Must be able to detect, analyze and resolve issues professionally as they arise
Please forward applications via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org including a cover letter and resume. In the e-mail subject line, please indicate the position title ANIMAL RESEARCH TECHNICIAN.
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.
Company Name: Turnstone Biologics
Active from 5/11/2018
CALAS/ACSAL National Office: PO Box 20507 - 2901 Sheppard Avenue East Toronto, ON M1T 3V5Tel.:416-593-0268 | Fax: 416-979-1819 | Email: email@example.com