Posted: February, 2017
At Arbutus, we have a vision: to cure HBV. We have a dedicated and innovative team and we are uniquely positioned to transform the HBV treatment landscape. We are developing a portfolio of drug candidates with multiple mechanisms of action that we believe will result in a combination therapy to cure HBV. Arbutus Biopharma has offices and research facilities in Burnaby, Canada and Doylestown Pennsylvania, USA. If you are looking to join a team with a proven track record in drug discovery and development, and are as passionate as we are, we want to hear from you.
About the Role:
The use of animals for research is a privilege. Research involving animals is carried out only when there are no available alternatives, when the project has demonstrated merit, and only when there is assurance that the animals will be cared for humanely by well-trained professionals. The Animal Care Technician reports to the Senior Manager, Core Facility and is responsible for the general husbandry and care of animals in Arbutus’ Core Facility.
Responsibilities will include:
- Perform general husbandry and animal care related functions, while maintaining sanitary animal housing conditions.
- Maintain and sanitize animal rooms, perform appropriate decontamination methods and procedures.
- Ensure the overall cleanliness and operating efficiency of the Core Facility.
- Operate animal care processing equipment, detect and report malfunctioning or defective equipment. Including general facility environmental checks, such as temperature and humidity
- Perform other facility related procedures such as surgical instrument preparation, record keeping, inventory maintenance, document review, and database management.
- Maintain animal data and participate in a supporting role during the execution of in vivo studies,
– Perform routine technical procedures in rodents, such as test article administration via the oral route, other administration techniques depending on level of experience.
– Provide monitoring including observation of animal health, treatment response, sentinel monitoring and post-operative care.
- Other duties as required.
- A compassion and sensitivity for animals, strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills and the ability to interact positively with other team members.
- This position requires a high level of organization and initiative, and a proven ability to work cooperatively as well as independently. Excellent record keeping and attention to detail are
- A Diploma in Animal Care or Animal Health Technology and experience working with animals or an equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred.
- A working knowledge of animal related standards, CCAC guidelines and federal, provincial and local requirements is preferred.
- Weekend, evening and holiday work may be required as needed.
8900 Glenlyon Parkway
Burnaby, BC V5J 5J8
How to Apply:
We invite you to send your cover letter and resume in PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure your submission is in PDF format (ideally in one document) indicating your last name in the filename (for example: SmithJane-cover-CV.pdf) and position title and reference number in the subject line of the email (“17-07 – Animal Care Technician”).
About your Application:
At Arbutus we value diversity and encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We greatly appreciate your interest in being a part of our team; however, because of the volume of resumes we receive, we are only able to contact you should you be considered for a position. We will keep your resume in our database for one year, and contact you should a position that matches your
skills become available.